Friday, December 5, 2008

27 Nov 2008

My mid-week mid-long run was yesterday; 4 miles. Before today, I had done 4 miles all of twice, and only once without stopping. It was both tougher and easier than I expected. Somewhere around the 3-3.5m point I started to flag, and I really had to dig to keep going; but I got a burst of energy after 3.5m, and I finished strong, with a smile on my face (if I can smile at the end of a run, I consider it a success).
There's something I'm discovering through my running - particularly in the last few weeks, when I've made my few attempts at either running farther or faster than the distance to which I've grown accustomed. I'm learning how to push myself, how to ignore that pesky little voice in my head who says "Hey, you've gone far enough, you can stop now," to continue moving beyond the point where I start to feel tired or winded. I'm learning to focus, not just on my breathing or my running form, but in a completely new way than I'd known before, and I'm starting to get an idea of why Runners (capital R) become - and remain - Runners.

I was really looking forward to today's run ("today" being 27 Nov 2008 the previous run was yesterday's). It being Thanksgiving Day, I saw today as my first true test of commitment to this training program. My family (those who were around) gathered at Virginia Beach, where we follow the tradition of warming up for the Big Meal by eating finger foods for hours beforehand. I knew when I got there the last thing I would want to do would be run, but I also knew, if I could get that run in (an "easy 3 miles") it would be a triumph I could celebrate (by eating several pounds of crab dip, turkey, stuffing and various pies and cakes).
Well, I did run, so there's that. I left the beach house and headed up the road that parallels the shore. I was enjoying myself, catching glimpses of the surf between the fantastic large houses. I found myself running through the tail end of the morning's Turkey Trot 10k, so I was smiling a lot, exchanging greetings with the last of the runners and walkers, including the guy driving the truck at the very back end of the race, blasting the Rocky soundtrack from his vehicle. It was cool.
But, at about my halfway point, I realized I'd been jogging much faster than my normal pace, and so I ended up walking for a block or two around the 1.5m mark. Disappointing, but I enjoyed seeing the other runners, it was a nice day, and I feel successful just for making it out there at all.

No comments: