Thursday, December 18, 2008

3 Dec 2008

I've been spreading the word, and so I've found myself talking a lot about running. People want to know why I run, do I get bored, do I listen to music, all kinds of things. Here are answers to some of the questions I've been asked:
I run because I've grown to enjoy it. I think the reason I didn't enjoy it all the other times I started and then ran out of steam a few weeks later was because I never got to the point where I could run and NOT immediately be exhausted and out of breath. I actually have time now, when I run, to look around, to breathe easily, and to enjoy myself. When I DO start to get winded, now, I remind myself I am doing this because I enjoy it, and I make it a point to look around me, take in my surroundings, and smile. It makes a huge difference.
I started out listening to music, but that didn't last long. I found it too distracting. I would run at pace with the beat of whatever song I was listening to, and generally ended up running much too fast. Plus, having the music going kept me from really being present in the moment I was in, and being present in the moment is a big part of what I enjoy about running. Which brings me to...
No, I don't get bored when I run. Maybe this is because my long runs are still over after no more than 45 minutes, but I have not yet found myself sighing and wishing the run was over. Running for me has become almost like meditation (says the guy who does not meditate, and never really has), in that I am concentrating - on my form, on my breathing, on my footing - but not really consciously. Those things become like white noise when you fall asleep: they are there, I am aware of them, but they are in the background of my thoughts. It is incredibly relaxing, falling into this quiet mindspace where I am both aware of everything around me and isolated in my quiet mind at the same time. If you've never experienced it, well, I hope you do. It's pretty cool.
And so, there you have it. Why I run, whether I listen to music, and whether I get bored: answered. These have been the most common questions I'm asked. If any more crop up, I will address them directly. In the meantime, I'm off to run...

No comments: