Thursday, February 12, 2009

29 Jan 2009

Hills last night with Coach Chuck. We did three reps on the hill, a leeeetle bit fast on the first (1:05), but pretty consistent on the second two (1:10 each). Chuck suggested we try for a fourth, and I declined; but today I really wish I hadn't.
These hill workouts are (I'm told) THE best way to build the muscle necessary to improve my endurance and speed, as well as build my cardiovascular endurance. Speed is probably the least important of these factors, to me. My goal for race-day is not so much centered on a goal time (the closest to a goal time I have is "under 5 hours," but really, if I'm over that, that's fine), but more on the idea of simply finishing, and doing so with a smile on my face. But speed work (and hill work) are both good for your breath, which has always been my number 1 boondoggle, when it comes to running. My legs get tired, yes, but I've always been KO'd more by a lack of oxygen than muscle fatigue. Working on this makes me happy, especially when I have those moments when I can look back and actually see where I've improved.

No comments: