Wednesday, February 25, 2009

31 Jan 2009

I finally get it. I understand what Coach Chuck means when he says "There are no hills in Richmond." Compared to Charlottesville, a mere hour's drive away, there really are no hills in Richmond. None.
The run itself was a lot of fun, though! We met the Charlottesville Team at UVA's U-Center, and after some introductions and a Mission Moment, we briefly reviewed our route and set off. The course of our run covered a lot of different areas, including the UVA grounds, the downtown mall, the Rivanna Trail (where there were a few ice-related slips and falls - but no injuries!), even some residential neighborhoods.
I ran most of the way with a group of Charlottesville runners: Emily (center, pink earband), Molly (center, white fleece), Vanessa (left, green fleece) and Renee (left, pink fleece). (I'm front and center, lounging - ahem - gracefully, and holding up the sign with Amber - that asphalt was COLD, by the way! And thank you, Art, for the photo!). They are all wonderful folks, and I owe Emily, especially, a great big huge thank you, because when I fell behind (those hills! I love em, but boy are they tough!), she stuck with me. It didn't keep us from getting lost, mind you, but at least neither of us was lost and alone.
There were a few wrong turns (one group ended up adding almost two miles onto their run), but everyone made it, and was smiling at the end. After the run, we all went to Panera Bread for lunch and socializing. We left just in time, though, as the long-run-plus-food weariness was beginning to set in, and I think people would have started falling asleep in their food soon.
In all, a great run ("Yeah, yeah, Dave," you're saying, I know, "They're ALL great runs, aren't they?" To which I respond, heartily, "YES!"). I hope to see more of the Charlottesville folks, either here in Richmond or back out in C-ville. Hills ARE our friends, after all. Why wouldn't we visit?

No comments: