Wednesday, February 25, 2009

7 Feb 2009

Well, the slight knee pain was NOT from sleeping funny on my leg, it seems. Saturday's run was curtailed by said knee pain. About 10 miles in, it hit me. Never excruciating, but enough to force me to walk the last 6 miles of the route. Best theory at the moment is ITB Syndrome, which is basically just when the tendon that runs from your hip to your knee pulls tight and rubs against your knee bone, causing discomfort. I've got some stretches and whatnot I can do to alleviate the pain and I should be good to go (hopefully) by next weekend.
As an additional treatment suggestion, Coach Chuck advised me to take an ice bath. I have heard of this practice, but have never tried it myself. Fill a tub with cold tap water, then dump in a bag of ice (I used 16lbs), then hop in. Yikes. Cold? Yes, very. Apparently, this weekend also happened to be the annual Polar Plunge, so I guess I can't feel TOO bad about my fifteen minutes of discomfort when compared to guys who jump full-on into water that is most likely colder (or at least AS cold) as what I was in, only up to my waist, with a sweatshirt on and a cup of hot coffee in my hand. And in hindsight, the ice bath really wasn't that bad. I'd do it again.
So, from frosted faces to icy baths, I can say I've experienced my share of cold this winter. Bring on the Spring.

No comments: